Sunday, August 23, 2015

Week 2: Growth Mindset

Warning: Animal lovers may find the context of this blog post unappealing. 



The growth mindset challenge I completed is one that I continually push myself to accomplish when I travel. I always try to challenge myself to experience another culture as much as possible by trying different foods and learning different customs. What this challenge has helped me do is to become more open to trying new things and considering cultural differences without judgement.

I would have to say the most challenging thing that I have done while abroad took place in Peru. While there we heard of a traditional Peruvian delicacy known as Cuy, a.k.a. Guinea Pig. No one in our group wanted to challenge themselves and try something that is incredibly unique to Peru. The people serving the food were telling us that Guinea Pig was usually only served on birthdays and important holidays. I did not want to leave Peru wishing that I had pushed myself out of my comfort zone, so I took the leap and a friend joined me soon after.

(Eating Cuy in Cuzco, Peru)


 I couldn't believe that I ate something like this, but after having done it and talked with the people in Peru about their way of living I can say that I truly tried my best to immerse in the culture of Peru. I find it extremely hard to push myself out of my comfort zone both in the U.S. and out of it, but I always find the outcome extremely rewarding and unforgettable!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! This is WILD! I didn't even know that people eat guinea pig! I'm vegan, so I would never try something like this. HOWEVER, that being said--I think it is very cool that you went out of your comfort zone and tried something very interesting! I mean, going to another country is wild enough, but trying a crazy food is even more of a challenge.

    I think it's great for anyone, doing anything, to challenge themselves to do something different.

    Have you seen the Bizaare Foods show that's on the Travel Channel? You might like that, he's eaten foods even crazier than a guinea pig (which is hard to believe, right?)

    So, how did it taste? Was it good? I was curous about what you thought, but I don't think you mentioned that.

    Also, is there another crazy food that you want to try next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Justin, This is pretty bold of you to go to a different place and try their traditions even if it is sort of looked at weird in our society we live in. I really like how you push yourself to dive in head first into other cultures when you are in a foreign land. It gives you a good sense learning about other people and what their lives are like.

    ReplyDelete