Sunday, August 23, 2015

Possible Storybook Topics

Topic: The Untold Side of Hera, the Queen of the Gods.
Comments: I believe that this storybook would be an interesting way to try and explain the actions of Hera in many stories. I know from reading Ovid's Metamorphoses that Hera seems to have a short fuse and always punished the women who her husband is unfaithful with. However, I believe that it would put Hera in a better light if these stories portrayed how she was unable to hurt Zeus physically and her only way to make him feel pain was through the mortal women that he loved.
Possible Stories: I could choose from a multitude of tales from Ovid's Metamorphoses such as: Hercules, Semele, Callisto, and Lo. Each of these stories contains Hera casting a type of punishment on a character in the tale.
Sample Story: I would definitely include the tale of Hercules. She plays a key role in the tale of Hercules from birth to death. I believe that I could tell the tale of Hercules through the eyes of Hera and that I could explain why she had such a vendetta for Hercules.
Bibliography Information: 
Sample Story: The Labors of Hercules
Source: Tufts University Perseus Project

(Juno Receiving the Cestus from Venus)


Topic: The Dragon's Tales
Comments: I find the most interesting thing about this class to be the monsters throughout the myths and tales. However, I believe that my favorite mythical creature would have to be the dragons found in some of the tales. I would portray myself as an elder dragon sharing some of the same tales that we tell, but with the dragon's perspective. I feel that this would give the reader another point of view to consider why these fire-breathing "monsters" are always destroying "innocent" villages and people.
Possible Stories: I could use a few of the stories found in the Un-Textbook that contains dragons such as Beowulf and The Labors of Yamato. I also looked online and found a list of dragons found in Greek mythology that could be used.
Sample Story: I believe that I would tell the tell of Yamato when he fights the dragon that destroyed a village. I would throw in the untold story of the dragon and how the village had raided her nest and killed all of her newborn children. I would relate this story with the power of a mother's love and how rage overcame the dragon and caused her to attack the people responsible.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Labors of Yamato
Book Title: Romance of Old Japan: Part 1: Mythology and Legend
Book Author: E.W. Champney and F. Champney
Year: 1917
(Grumpy Dragon)


Topic: Court Transcripts of Trials against Infamous Mythical Beings
Comments: This storybook could be one of the most interesting ideas I have. This story would focus around trials of monsters that many believe to have been killed, but in fact were taken prisoner by a supreme mythical council and put to trial for their crimes against human beings.
Possible Stories: I believe I would pick some of the most well known mythical beings such as Grendel, vampires, werewolves, and even dragons. They can all be found in the UnTextbook.
Sample Story: I would definitely include Grendel from the Tale of Beowulf. I would give his commentary of the events that took place and would find the punishment that the council finds most deserving of him and other monsters. I believe that it would be interesting, because these punishments could be anything that the council deems necessary.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Beowulf
Book Title: The Story of Beowulf
Book Author: Strafford Riggs
Year: 1933


Topic: The Ward for the Mythically Insane
Comments: It was difficult to find a fourth topic to cover, but for this topic the story would take place in a psychiatric ward. This story would contain many of the "heroes" from these tales. They would tell their tales, but these would all turn out to be mental delusions and hallucinations.
Possible Stories: I could use any story from the UnTextbook.
Sample Story: I feel that a good tale to tell would include Dante from Dante's Inferno. I believe that he could be describing the different levels of hell, but in reality he is really hallucinating the different levels of the hospital he is in. He could very easily see his physician who controls his treatment as the devil and could indeed fear for his life. I believe this would be an interesting twist on the classic tale of Dante's Inferno.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Dante's Inferno
Book Title: Dante: The Divine Comedy
Book Author: A.S. Kline
Year: 2000
(Psych Ward Room)


2 comments:

  1. I was just strolling through blogs to get an idea of possible storybook topics and might I just say I absolutely love idea of The Ward for the Mythically Insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin,
    I always come to your blog for inspiration. Even though I do not post a lot on your site, I just wanted to let you know that you are full of great ideas! I also think it is really cool that you add a Pinterest board and really great pictured for each post. I also find it inspiring that you find the time to work ahead. Even though I am still upset you didn’t go with the Dante’s Inferno topic, I am sure your portfolio is doing really well!

    ReplyDelete