Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Storybook Favorites

I found four storybooks that were interesting in my opinion. Each storybook was centered on what I find to be most interesting in mythology and folklore, the monsters.

The first storybook was The Monsters of the Twelve Labors. I am familiar with the story of Hercules and the twelve labors he had to endure. I believe that the title gave a good idea of what the story was about if you had a prior knowledge of the mythology of Hercules. I believe the introduction does a great job at introducing people to the tale of Hercules and gives enough information that they do not need to have prior knowledge to understand the tale. I really like how this reader portrays Hercules with emotions, such as fear, which many people do not associate with this character. I also really like how the writer places the story in the words of Hercules and provides a firsthand account of the difficulties he faced. I like the layout of this storybook, however I am not a fan of the black background and white words. I feel that it was easy for me to lose my place, but that may just be because I am not used to reading from a black background.

The next storybook is Monster Hunter. This storybook was interesting because it focused on the tale of a monster hunter that killed infamous monsters, such as vampires, werewolves, and dragons. I really enjoyed the idea of mixing different tales and weaving them into one storybook. I believe that the introduction gives us a great idea of the perspective of the monster hunter and provides a bit of humor. I really like the design of this storybook, because it helped me imagine I was in a tavern with the monster hunter himself.

I also enjoyed Perseus' Journey. I am very familiar with the tale of Perseus and really enjoy this tale. I found it interesting how the writer was writing the tale in the position of Perseus himself. I believe the introduction gives us a good sense of Perseus openly telling us how he met his wife and is a wonderful way to begin the story. The design of the story is simple, but the pictures that the writer found were great!

The Hydra that Attacked Perseus

 

The last storybook that I found interesting was Moreau Island Labs Inc. This story was based around the tales of Dr. Moreau and centered on a lab that was created on Moreau Island that contained many beasts of legend. The tale focused around a tour of executives viewing the creatures that were being held and in the end resulted in the monsters escaping and imprisoning the executives to be tortured as they were. I found this to be a great way to bring monsters from different stories together and I really enjoyed the design of the storybook. It felt as if I were reading it from a laboratories website.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is super - you have a combination of different Storybooks that shows how the project can go in different directions, based on the topic itself, the storytelling style, and also the design of the website (which can be really simple, or really elaborate... it all depends on what each person prefers). With your incredibly busy schedule, you might end up choosing the portfolio option instead of the Storybook, and that would be totally understandable - but I am glad you got a chance to look at these great examples of Storybooks to see what's possible with this type of semester-long project.

    ReplyDelete