Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Week 1: Plan for UnTextbook Readings

Week 2: I would like to read Ovid's Metamorphoses which has tales of Roman mythology. I have learned about Perseus and Medusa in middle school and I have travelled to Rome. I believe this would give me a better understanding of my time in Rome.

Week 3: I think I will read Apuleius' Cupid and Psyche which contains more Roman tales. I believe that the myths about Venus and other figures will enable me to learn more than I previously have from other myths.

Week 4: I will read about Ancient Egypt, because I have always ben interested in learning about the beliefs of Ancient Egyptians. I think it would be great to learn about Ra and other myths.

Week 5: I will read Persian Tales mainly because I think werewolves are great. I also have a Persian friend that I could talk to about these tales he may know.

Week 6: I will read Japanese mythology. I chose this because dragons are usually great in tales and I think it would be great to write about.

Week 7: I will read Chinese folktales. I travelled to China and learned a lot about Ancient China and the stories they told. I believe that this section will give me a deeper understanding of the tales I have heard and will give me a greater appreciation of my time there.

Week 9: I will be reading Hero Tales from the Native American section. I believe that it would be great to learn about Native American heroes. I believe that it is important to ensure that Native American belief's are kept alive.

Week 10: I will be reading Myths of the Cherokee. I chose this section because I live in the Great Plains and would like to learn folklore about the area in which I live.

Week 11: I will be reading Beowulf and I previously read Grendel. I would like to read it from the other perspective and I know it will be a great read.

Week 12: I will read Through the Looking-Glass, because I am interested in reading some of the classic tales. I have never read Humpty Dumpty or Tweedledee and Tweedledum, and I look forward to learning about the entire story.

Week 13: I will be reading the Brothers Grimm (Crane). I like the movie Into the Woods which is based upon the Brothers Grimm books for princesses, and I want to read the original Rapunzel. I think it would be great to rewrite some of these stories.

Week 14: I will read Dante's Inferno. I chose this because I visited Italy and while in Florence I saw a gallery that contained stone tablets with the different levels of Dante's hell carved into it. I believe this will help me to interpret what I saw with a much deeper understanding.

(Illustration by Gustave DorĂ©)
I chose this photo from Dante's Inferno and the story about the Minotaur and the Centaurs. I believe that this photo shows how amazing the story of Dante's Inferno is, because it contains great monsters like the Minotaur. I look forward to reading this story and rewriting some of the stories.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is super, Justin: with your busy schedule this semester, having a tentative plan for what you want to read will come in really handy, and of course you can also change your mind at any time. It was fun to see your list because everybody puts together their own combination... and since I like ALL the units, all the combinations sound good to me! And I would be so curious if your Iranian friend knows any good werewolf tales or other folktales to share with you: that collection of Persian folktales is AMAZING, and if you are interested in that part of the world, the Turkish folktales book is also really excellent. It's very cool that you found so many connections to places you have traveled and topics that you are interested in... and it's also great that you are working ahead like this; the more of this class you can get done now, the less of a load you will have when the semester starts in all your other classes! :-)

    ReplyDelete