Saturday, September 26, 2015

Week 6 Storytelling: Observations of Mr. Yamato

                                                         Observations of Mr. Yamato

Patient # 4002
Date: August 25, 1917
Observations: To protect the confidentiality of the patient I will refer to patient number 4002 as Mr. Yamato. Yamato has suffered fits of extreme delusion during his time here at the Tokigama Psychiatric Facility due to severe schizophrenia. I fear that Mr. Yamato has lost all sense of what is reality and fiction in his mind. I will describe any events that Mr. Yamato experiences in this journal.
(Psych Ward on Pinterest)

Date: August 30, 1917
Observation: While Mr. Yamato was roaming the halls, he saw another patient violently grab one of our nurses, Yoko Himata. Mr. Yamato insists in telling the story as Ms. Yoko being a princess known as Tacibana that was kidnapped by a group of bandits and taken hostage. He declared his love for the princess and gave details of how he slew the bandit that took her hostage. However, the true actions of Mr. Yamato were that he called the guards and they handled the situation peacefully. It is interesting to see how his delusions are progressing steadily each day.

Date: September 2, 1917
(Nurse found on Pinterest)
Observation: Mr. Yamato's condition is progressively declining and his ability to differentiate between reality and fantasy is fading. Today, the nurse Yoko that Mr. Yamato insists is truly the Princess he calls Tacibana took his vitals as usual. Mr. Yamato was not interested in talking with the nurse today, but he heard the yells of another patient down the hall that calls for help out of a desire to seek attention. Mr. Yamato was transfixed by this patient’s voice and insisted that she was in fact a siren calling his name. On September 2, Mr. Yamato left his room and travelled throughout the psychiatric ward in search of the patient calling for help. When he had at last found his “siren”, she asked him to bring her the medications that would help her. Mr. Yamato accepted this mission and believed that he was indeed searching for a “golden apple of immortality.” I can honestly say that Mr. Yamato has lost all sense of where he is and does indeed believe that he is on a heroic quest.


(Siren found on Pinterest)
Date: September 15, 1917
Observation: Mr. Yamato searched that day for medications, but every hospital employee that he asked refused to help him and directed him back to his hospital room. One of the other residents, named Goku, told him a story of a man that had made his way to the island of paradise full of golden apples, which in reality was the pharmacy.


Date: September 22, 1917
Observation: Mr. Yamato’s seemingly harmless delusions have now begun to become physical. Today, Mr. Yamato attacked a male attending nurse with a pair of scissors, cutting his stethoscope and he came to check vitals. Mr. Yamato shouted at the nurse calling him a demon boar and after cutting the stethoscope Mr. Yamato screamed in victory that he had slain the boar by cutting his tail. I fear that the medications we have given to Mr. Yamato have only worsened his condition.

Date: September 24, 1917
Observation: Mr. Yamato awoke in his hospital bed with a burning sensation throughout his entire body. He began to go into cardiac arrest and our medical team swarmed into the room to help him. Mr. Yamato screamed about a fire taking place in a field surrounding him and screamed as any employee touched him that he was being trampled by hundreds of deer. However, the nurse Yoko or in Yamato’s eyes Tacibana came into the room and gave him an injection of morphine. Mr. Yamato thanked "Tacibana" for bringing him the weapon needed to counter the fire and for saving his life.
(Morphine found on Pinterest)


Date: December 1, 1917
Observation: Days have passed without an incident, but today while Yoko was tending to Mr. Yamato he heard the cries of his “siren.” Mr. Yamato asked Yoko to leave him alone for a little while, but as she turned to leave he had swiped her keys and ID card. When he was alone, he travelled to the pharmacy and found a pharmacy technician who was just entering the pharmacy. He tied up the pharmacy technician and took with him a large amount of morphine and oxycodone. Upon questioning the technician remembered Mr. Yamato asking, " where is my sacred sword!" A visitor witnessed Mr. Yamato approach the door of his “siren” and show her his “sacred sword.” The "siren" tricked him into opening her door and she then stole his “sacred sword” to fuel her drug addiction and locked him in her hospital room. We found Mr. Yamato in the room and let him out of the room and discovered what happened. We locked down the hospital in search of the patient, but Mr. Yamato found her hiding in a storage closet. Mr. Yamato took the medications from the patient and reported her location to the guards, and upon his arrival the guard heard Mr. Yamato shouting, "I have recovered my sword and destroyed the demon deer." Mr. Yamato has given this patient two separate and unique identities of both the "siren" and "the demon deer." 

Date: December 12, 1917
Observation: Mr. Yamato was placed under surveillance since the incident that took place on December 1.  However, on this day he managed to escape his room in search of the "siren" that had deceived him. He was armed with a pair of scissors and witnesses recall hearing him muttering that he would slay the “siren.” Before anything happened Yoko stopped Mr. Yamato and he openly praised her for saving him from the "siren’s" grip. He awoke in his hospital bed and looked for Yoko, but she was nowhere to be found. The patient in the room next to Mr. Yamato recalled hearing Mr. Yamato screaming that a dragon had attacked his kingdom and he went to search for the dragon. I saw Mr. Yamato in the hall and asked him what he was doing, but based upon his physical agitation, rapid breathing, and perspiration that covered his body I knew there was going to be trouble. Mr. Yamato lunged at me screaming that I was the dragon controlling all of these evil deeds and stabbed me with the scissors in the arm. The guards tackled Mr. Yamato, but he was screaming in victory that he had slain the dragon. When we brought him to his room, we discovered the appalling truth that he had slit the throat of Yoko at the beginning of his psychotic break just before attacking me. However, Mr. Yamato will forever believe that his princess Tacibana sacrificed herself to save him from the grasps of the dragon. We then sent Mr. Yamato to a psychiatric facility in a high security prison where he will live the rest of his days as Yamato, unaware of the pain he caused in the real world.
(Solitary confinement found on Pinterest)

(Scissors found on Pinterest)


Author's Note: This tale is based from the Labors of Yamato, but I chose to place a wonderful twist on the story.  I chose to follow each individual tale in the same order, but chose to make the tales a hallucination of the doctor's patient. I believe that this is an interesting way to portray the story and can bring about a different interpretation of mythological tales.  This tale originally contained the hero Yamato who saved a princess and married her soon after. However, he began to be bored and craved adventure. He travelled by sea to another land and that is when he met the siren. She called to him and sent him on a quest to find the golden apple of immortality. A man told him where he could find this apple by a stranger and then set on his way to get it. Throughout his quest he defeated a demon boar and was trapped in a fiery field, but his princess saved him by bringing him his sacred sword which he used to create a counter-fire. He then traveled to the siren and told her that he could not find the apple, but she tricked him and stole his sacred sword for her father, the god of the sea. Yamato found his sword, took it back, and killed the siren's father who was in the form of a dragon. However, after defeating the dragon at land he was at sea and he angered the god of the sea. He was going to destroy their boat, but the princess sacrificed herself to save Yamato.


Bibliography: The Labors of Yamato from Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend by E.W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Justin, this is such a crazy, cool, creative, and imaginative way to retell the story! I like that this was written as observations and how in Yamato's head, he was doing some crazy stuff, but through the eyes of the doctor, he was just talking about and doing some silly stuff. I was hooked as soon as I read the first line. What gave you idea to write this story as Yamato's hallucinations? The Pinterest images that you chose went well with the story as well! It definitely gave off that creepy, psychiatric ward feel that came with this story. Since I chose your story to do the feedback practice, I tried to see if I could offer some advice on how to make it better... But I seriously cannot find any flaws here. Your punctuation is good and I didn't catch any typos. The layout was good to comprehend and easy to read. I am very impressed by your work. Keep it up. I can't wait to read more of your stories in the weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that was pretty intense. You see I use to study marriage and family therapy at OSU. The things you describe in this story for some patients actually are not far off. I quit counseling because of stuff like this. I loved the people, but couldn't handle hearing stuff day in and day out that just becomes traumatizing. I did become de-sensitized, but the weight still piled on me for my standards of helping my patients. Good story man and keep the creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Justin I absolutely loved the way you changed the story! It was so creative and really interesting to read! I would've never thought to make the mythological stories delusions, but the way that you did it was so cool that I might have to try something similar in one of my stories! The way the stories were told was really cool, although in the beginning you said you would refer to Mr. Yamato as "Patient 4002" but then in the rest of the story, you referred to him as Mr. Yamato; that is the only thing I would change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin,

    Wow! I have never seen a story be told this way and I absolutely loved it! It was so creative, so dark, and so mysterious. I definitely wanted to know what Mr. Yamato would do each day. I think that your stories are very descriptive and it lets the reader know exactly what is going on and I really appreciated that. Also, something very unique to this story is the amount of images that you have added to it. I really enjoyed that. Your stories already give me a visual idea but then the images that are added at the end of each entry makes the story and the image tie in very nicely. I am really impressed with what you are doing! Great job. Your entries were not too long or too short and my attention was not lost and I think that is something very important in storytelling and it is something that I am still working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Justin!

    I love stories that are formatted this way. It reminds me of books like The Sufferings of Young Werther. It adds a layer of mystery because you only see from the eyes of one person, but through their writings. It's so hard not to be curious about the things that you do not know. Your stories are really well written with well picked descriptive words. The length of the stories were really nice too. I did not feel too antsy while reading them. Another good thing about your story is that the images that you chose to thread throughout the story add more character to the story. Your words paint the picture, but the images really make them seem real. It's quite sad how this can really be some people's lives and it's hard to think of that. You did a really good job with being realistic. Good job with this story and I look forward to see where your portfolio goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a nicely done story. I liked the way you changed it to a doctor/patient setting and making the format like a doctor’s report. It was neat seeing his progress throughout his stay and it made me wanting to read until the end. You did a great job at captivating the reader into wanting to read more. I didn’t see any grammatical errors or confusing parts so you did a good job at editing.

    Having lots of pictures helps illustrate the story, so I always had a mental image of the events that happened. I can’t really find anything negative to say about this story because I enjoyed it so much. It makes me want to read the original to see the changes made. I hope you do more stories like this one. This is a real solid story to add to your portfolio and I hope you have a nice rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a nicely done story. I liked the way you changed it to a doctor/patient setting and making the format like a doctor’s report. It was neat seeing his progress throughout his stay and it made me wanting to read until the end. You did a great job at captivating the reader into wanting to read more. I didn’t see any grammatical errors or confusing parts so you did a good job at editing.

    Having lots of pictures helps illustrate the story, so I always had a mental image of the events that happened. I can’t really find anything negative to say about this story because I enjoyed it so much. It makes me want to read the original to see the changes made. I hope you do more stories like this one. This is a real solid story to add to your portfolio and I hope you have a nice rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete