Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 9 Storytelling: The Destruction of Man

                                                     The Destruction of Man

Since the dawn of man all the world and its creatures have ever seen is destruction. My name is Chuchip, but the humans refer to me as the Giant Elk. The people of this land tell stories to their children of how horrible a monster I am. They tell their children that I eat any human that crosses my path, because I am a savage beast controlling the southern lands under my tyranny. However, in my dying breaths I will let you know the truth of what has happened on this earth today.
(Ancient Forest found on Pinterest)


I remember a time when all animals lived in harmony and the cycle of life was perfect, but then one day a tribe of humans arrived to our beautiful land. These people brought with them a wave of destruction, famine, and death. I called a council meeting with the other greats: Mahpee, the Great Eagle of the West, Uzumati, the Fearless Bear of the North, and Kanuna the Wise Bullfrog of the East. The council came to the decision that we must protect our land and we declared war upon the human race.

One day I raided a village to the west of the great river Bimisi when I noticed a small child following me. I could not bring myself to kill the young hunter and I led him into the depths of my land. In this land I knew the young hunter would see the peace that was present without his species and hoped that he would finally understand why I have done the things I have. I laid in the field to rest and saw the young hunter hiding in the shadows.

(Giant Elk found on Pinterest)
Although many creatures loved me throughout my rule, there were those that could not wait until my rule ended. One of those creatures was the gopher, because I banished him and his species to live below ground for the rest of their days after they attempted to incite rebellion in my kingdom. The gophers had caused the death of many creatures and initiated a war that still continues between the carnivores that sided with the gopher and the herbivores that sided with me. You see this when the carnivores hunt down the herbivores.
(Wolf eating Elk found on Pinterest)

I napped in the field and I felt something pull at the hairs on my chest and I looked down to see what it was. I saw the gopher pulling some hair from my chest with his small daughter and he asked to take some so that his children would not freeze in the tunnels throughout the night. I pitied him, allowed him to have some of my fur and went back to sleep, but while laying my head on the floor I realized the young hunter had left and I believed that he finally understood the peace found in the animal world.

Suddenly, a deep burning sensation and large jolts of pain in my chest awakened me. I looked down and saw that the young hunter had used the gopher’s hole to position himself below my heart to slay me. I ran as fast as I could, but I could not keep my head held high and as a result I tore the earth and created the mountain ranges in the west. I now lie in what will be known as the Great Salt Plains and upon my death this land surrounding me will never be fertile again. I tell my fellow creatures of the world and send the warning that the human species is one bent on the destruction of the world. One day they will take too much from this land and will feel the fury of our mother earth.
(Symbolic Photo of Man Vs. Earth found on Pinterest)



Author’s Note: For this story I used The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle, but the original Apache tale focused around a boy that had killed a Giant Elk and Great Eagle that mercilessly killed people throughout the land. This tale focused on a young hero and how he proved himself to his tribe by destroying these creatures that ravaged the land. I decided to place a twist on this tale and give the Giant Elk the voice to speak out with his dying breath about the injustices he witnessed and his reasoning for the violence. I believe that this gives the story another perspective that many may not even consider. I believe that this is a plausible tale in the eyes of the Giant Elk, because we have all seen what our species has done to this planet in the short time we have been on this planet. Our constant growth and technological advancement has caused global warming by such a large increase in carbon emissions, we have caused countless extinctions for such petty things as the ivory found in the tusk of white rhinos, and we constantly destroy the habitats of animals so that we can expand for our own. Hopefully this story will cause people to think about the things they do on our planet and be more conscientious of their actions.

Bibliography: The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle in Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929).

13 comments:

  1. Hi Justin,

    Wow, what a creative story. One of the most creative I’ve read so far. I love how you decided to write the story in first person. Awesome idea. I also love all the images you chose. I think they really add to the story and are very visually pleasing. I really enjoyed your story and the way you told it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dope story! I love man vs earth and nature themes. I made one similar to this theme earlier in the year. This story interests me in the originals as well so I will read that now too. You gave the elk a majestic voice. I enjoyed this character and did not like the hunter boy. Great descriptive words as well. And the last photo is on point. Overall good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justin! First off, I have to say that the image you chose for this story was very impactful at first glance and complemented your story quite well. You did a great job in conveying the dying elk's thoughts and feelings as well as his motivations in why he did what he did. Stories like this make me really wonder what is going to happen to the earth in the near future because humans ARE destructive. This was a great story. Thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Justin! Nice story! I came here for the extra credit blog commenting. I picked this story because the title seemed cool. The story was cool as well. I like how you conveyed the message (humans are destructive) in the Elk's point of view. That made the story cooler. I didn't find any error, which is always nice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Justin,

    So I dig your whole Nature versus Humans theme and I really think you did an excellent job on explaining why the elk did what it did. I blame the Biology major in you for coming up with this story, which I think was pure excellence. I enjoyed seeing how the elk even though it was killing people took compassion over the young hunter and kept him alive. The Irony of the young hunter killing the elk after being spared his life really represents what the human race has been doing to the earth now in days. Your story was on point and I cannot stop stressing that. I really like the last picture you posted of Mother Nature and the gun being held at point being the large cities we have no in days. In is a good depiction of what we are doing and what we should began to improve on in order to stop the wrongdoings that we are doing. Good job Justin! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Justin!!

    I loved that you told this story in first person point of view. I felt like that just added so much nostalgia to it. I also really liked all of the details and descriptions you included. This really complimented the powerful images you chose. This was a really great story and I look forward to reading more of yours in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very interesting story, and it kept me entertained the whole time. I like how you gave examples of why things are how they are. I also like when stories are told from the animals point of view. That has been a challenge of mine when writing stories. I have not been able to portray different ways of telling things. Humans are definitely destructive and you did a good job of showing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey again Justin.
    I like this story. telling it from the elks point of view is a cool idea because it lets use get a totally different perspective.
    your writing style is very easy to read and the use of pictures really helped me to understand what was going on. I also liked that you had a message for all of us at the end. good work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Justin,

    Great descriptive story! I really liked your take on this as you presented the story to the audience in first person. The Elk's thoughts were really great insight and I think that that is one of the things that made your story really great. Now, your images were amazing especially the image of the wolf eating the deer. I think that your main theme of human vs. nature is great and something worth talking about. Humans can be very self centered and sometimes we don't realize the harm that we are causing. I wish that there were more stories from nature's and animal's points of view so that humans can get an insight of what we are doing to their home and their lives. Great job I really enjoyed your story you are descriptive and creative!

    Your portfolio is very organized and that very appealing to the eye. Great job on your layout. As I have mentioned before you have a great skill in writing. I hope to heard more of your stories in the near future. Good luck on the rest of your Portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Justin!

    I’m returning to your project this week since I have enjoyed your writing so much! I read “The Destruction of Man,” and, as usual, I was not disappointed!
    As in other stories of yours I’ve read, one of the first things that grabbed my attention was the name of the elk. I actually went and read the original to see that’s where you got it, but, as I suspected, it was something you came up with. Nicely done!
    I loved the perspective you took for this story, which you clarified very nicely in your author’s note. I would have to agree not many people necessarily consider this point of view, and you articulated it very well within your story. I felt real sympathy for the elk when the young hunter slayed him—he was only trying to do what he felt was best for his kingdom. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The message behind your story was amazing. I could see what you were trying to do while reading the story and I really appreciated it and I think it made a terrific story that applies to us today. I was so so sad for the Chuchip,Giant Elk. He was only doing what all humans and animals do which is protect what is theirs. The name you gave him was very interesting. The images you chose went so well with your story. They helped visualize as well as portray the points you were trying to make about the Earth being in trouble and humans being a large factor. I found it odd that the gopher was the enemy. I do not know a lot about gophers but I have never considered them to be scary bad guys. But I did enjoy their origin story that explained why they lived in the ground. You did a great job on this story and I can't wait to read more of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was intrigued by the title of “The Destruction of Man.” When I find out the storyteller was an elk I was even more excited because I like stories told from an animal’s perspective. I thought it was a very different approach that the Elk was like the king of the woods. Normally we see a lion or a tiger, something you would think would scare other animals. I liked the idea of the elk being the beast.
    I enjoyed the images that were provided. I think it was beneficial that after every paragraph you placed a picture for the reader. I thought it was a bit of karma how the gopher, who had been banished, help to aid the hunter in killing the elk. The elk let his guard down and was taken advantage of in the end.
    Your author’s note helped me understand where you gathered your ideas for the story. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Justin! I enjoyed reading your story. I like origin stories and stories about animals, so your story was a perfect combination! I also like stories that are told from a different perspective. They always give more breadth and history to a story. It was also a smart move to write in first person. I felt like I was better able to understand the main character. I had never read the original story, but I really liked your version. The spacing and pictures in your post made the story enjoyable and entertaining. I also liked that your story had a message. I find that stories written by people that are passionate are much more powerful. Sometimes it's easy to forget about the importance of nature when we're absorbed with our own problems. Your story made me stop and think for a little bit, so thank you for that. Overall, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete